Monday, July 2, 2012


Well the heat is on, so what better way to spend some time in the kitchen…right? J
I made Fiesta Chicken Breasts (can be found in the Betty Crocker cookbook) last Thursday and they were a hit!  I marinated the chicken breasts for an hour in lime juice and vegetable oil.  After letting them marinate, I popped them in the oven for about 35 minutes and made some rice to go with it.  The chicken was very flavorful, with a nice fresh taste.  Dan instantly declared they deserved a 5, I’m pickier, so I thought a 4.5. 
After the chicken was done, I put the pan in the dishwasher.  The next morning when I was putting the clean dishes away, I noticed the lime juice literally started to blister the finish on the pan and it was now peeling.  Needless to say, we got rid of the pan, but just a little FYI-next time use a glass baking dish.



Last week I also made Chocolate Revel Bars (from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook).  My aunt makes this every now and then for family get-togethers, so I wanted to try my hand at them.  They were pretty easy, but the top part was a little putzy for me.  The recipe made a 10”x15” pan so I divvied them up and sent some to my parents and the rest went to a 4th of July family get-together at Dan’s aunt’s house.  I got many complements on them so I would give them a 5!



Saturday morning I woke up oddly ambitious and made Toffee Bars (Betty Crocker) and a Bacon-Broccoli Cheese Ball (Taste of Home). 
The Toffee Bars were very easy and delicious!  Definitely  a 5 out of 5!  I sent a third of the pan with my brother (who literally ate half of them on the spot :/ ).  My parents got another third of the pan, and we kept the last third of the pan.  I went and had lunch at my parent’s today and theirs were gone already too!  I will definitely make these again in the future-they are a great treat to take to parties or keep on home and face temptation! J



The Bacon-Broccoli Cheese Ball was also pretty easy and tasty.  I took this over to Dan’s aunt’s house as well, and I got even more compliments on this.  It was as simple as mixing an 8oz. package of cream cheese, softened, with one teaspoon of pepper, one cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and one cup of chopped broccoli.  Once this is mixed together, form it into a ball and roll it into crumbled up cooked bacon.  Serve with your favorite crackers and voila! An instant hit-super easy and tasty appetizer!



Tonight I am making Dan some corn bread muffins (Betty Crocker) and chicken burritos (Better Homes and Gardens).  Before I go get cooking I wanted to share a little story about corn bread muffins.  I for one-do not like them…at all.  Dan, however loves them.  When we were dating and engaged, for some reason Dan decided that before he would marry me, I had to make him some corn bread muffins.  Since I can be stubborn, I decided that was going to prove him wrong and make him marry me without getting his corn bread muffins.  A couple months after we got married, I bought a Jiffy box mix and made him some corn bread muffins.  I was bummed with how they turned out…a little dark and dry.  So today I am going to make some from “scratch” and hopefully impress him! 

Happy 4th of July everyone!  Make sure to take some time and remember what the holiday is truly about.

No comments:

Post a Comment