Thursday, July 19, 2012


While I’ve been away, I’ve been cooking up a storm…kind of! J  In the last two weeks I have made Fresh Mozzarella and Tomato Pizza (Betty Crocker), Meaty Stuffed Onions (Taste of Homes), Ham Vegetable and Cheese Fritatta, along with sautéed zucchini fresh from our garden, Banana Crumb Muffins (allrecipes.com), and fruit pizza!

Starting off with the pizza-it was pretty simple, but time consuming because the pizza crust had to rise for about an hour.  Once that was done we put fresh mozzarella down, followed by slices of roma tomatoes, and then fresh basil and oregano.  After baking it for about 15 minutes, we scarfed it down.  We were surprised with how flavorful it was, since it seemed like it would be pretty blah…neither one of us liked the fresh basil (I thought it tasted like potpourri smells), so we picked most of it off and it was much better.  So with that said, with basil it would get a 3 out of 5, but without basil, a 4 out of 5.



Then we had the stuffed onions.  These were interesting…I do not like onions, but Dan does, so I knew he would love these.  We went to the local farmer’s market (our new favorite Saturday morning activity!) and get some fresh sweet onions.  These had to boil for 20 minutes.  After being boiled, the layers literally peeled apart, making cups that we stuffed with a mixture of hamburger, Italian pork sausage, bread crumbs, parmesan, etc.  We then baked them for a bit and they were ready.  We both thought a 3.5 out of 5 was appropriate.  Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of them….

Tonight I made the Ham, Vegetable, and Cheese Frittata, which was a great meal!  It was very light and tasty!  It had zucchini (courtesy our garden!), peppers (we used some green, orange, and yellow-so it was very colorful!), onion, ham, and of course eggs and cheese.  The frittata was great, so we are giving it a 4.75.



Our favorite side dish of the summer is sautéed zucchini.  I just slice the zucchini up and sauté it with butter and some Lowry’s and it is so good!


The muffins are also a fun treat that Dan and I love.  They are so moist and flavorful, so if you get a chance, definitely check them out at allrecipes.com!



Last and probably my favorite for this entry is the fruit pizza!  I didn’t use a recipe for this, so I don’t have one to cite.  However I did cheat and I bought Pillsbury sugar cookie dough for the crust.  I then mixed 2 cups of cool whip with 8 oz. cream cheese, and probably between ½-3/4 cup of powdered sugar for the frosting part.  I topped it with strawberries, blueberries, and bananas.  Yummy!



Tomorrow night is going to be beef enchiladas and then this weekend we are going to do some new breakfast recipes and have Dan’s parents over!  Sorry if there are any spelling/grammar issues...usually I am a nazi about them...but I hate proof reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment